MyHealthTeam, Discovery launches safe social network for people with COVID-19 or long COVID
MyHealthTeamcreator of the largest and fastest growing social networks for people with chronic conditions, today announced its partnership with South Africa’s largest private health insurance administrator, Health Discoveryto launch myCOVIDteam, a social network – also known as an online patient community – for people dealing with acute or long-term symptoms of COVID-19 (referred to as “long COVID”).
MyHealthTeam Patient Communities are online patient-led groups where patients, caregivers, physicians, researchers and others come together around a particular disease. They share stories, offer support and information, and even develop solutions if needed.
“COVID-19 will have a significant impact on individuals and communities around the world for years to come,” said Eric Paon, co-founder and CEO of MyHealthTeam.
“The myCOVIDteam network is key to empowering community members on multiple levels in this regard. myCOVIDteam visitors have access to medically verified information and trusted resources to help them talk more effectively with their doctors and better manage their recovery.
myCOVIDteam allows community members to access:
- Basic information about COVID-19 – risk factors, symptoms, treatment options and more
- Interviews with medical experts discuss various aspects of COVID-19 – including conversations with renowned specialists in cardiology, nephrology, pulmonology, neurology and psychology
- Tips for navigating everyday life with the disease – including consideration of the physical, mental, social and practical impacts
- Research Insights and New Information– including accessible summaries of studies from around the world that explain what people can expect and what they can cope with in the face of COVID-19 and its long-term effects.
- Member Stories of the myCOVIDteam community – through which real people have the opportunity to share their personal experiences, providing validation and support to others within the community.
“Long COVID is an emerging disease causing distress to a surprisingly high percentage of previously healthy individuals, following infection with COVID-19,” said Dr. Ryan Noach, CEO of Discovery Health. “Our data demonstrates an unequivocal increase in healthcare burden in a cohort of previously COVID-positive members who are living with persistent symptoms. This poses significant individual concern and discomfort, a population health risk, and an economic health challenge.
“Throughout the pandemic, we have supported members of Discovery Health-administered plans with up-to-date, evidence-based clinical information regarding COVID-19. We believe our partnership with MyHealthTeam to launch myCOVIDteam is an extension of this very important work. We consider it essential to facilitate interaction between affected patients through secure communities that encourage information sharing, learning and support.
“A strong, medically sound social network is essential to help people navigate the challenges of the long COVID, to feel supported, less isolated and truly informed about a disease that the global scientific community continues to learn about. We believe myCOVIDteam will provide much-needed empathy and know-how for people dealing with both acute and long-term symptoms of COVID-19.
- Residents of 13 countries – United States of America, South Africa, United Kingdom, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, Netherlands, Ireland, Sweden, Denmark, Norway, Iceland and Finland – can now connect with others facing the challenges of COVID-19 disease at www.mycovidteam.com. Once registered (at no cost), members can share their first-hand experience of the disease and connect with others facing similar symptoms or challenges in a safe and private environment.